Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Algae - an emerging technology? Yes, I mean the gunky stuff!


When reading about new and emerging technologies, algae wasn’t something I ever expected to see in a Google results list. But sure enough, it was there.
I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not the best advocate for recycling, or the greatest voice behind fuel efficiency. I’m not even sure where I stand when the press talks up the Global Warming debate. I do, however, recognize a common denominator amongst us all … and that is one. You can say it in French, Chinese, English or even Latin. One is still One.
We have One Earth. One. Not two or three. No repeats or mistake to be made. No backspace or copy & paste and a chance to start over. Just one home and one opportunity to get things right. One is one and it means something to all of us.
The math is simple. The most consumed of resources, oil, has a finite supply. When that supply is gone there is no more. 
So Algae as a technology? Why not. If we can grow algae and use it as an alternative fuel to power anything, or maybe one day, everything. Then why not fund the development so that it can be translated to a manufacturing process for mass production. 

Oh, and by the way, Algae is cleaner. Its Green. Sorry for the pun.
Soalzyme is a promising startup engaged in the development of algae biomass conversion as an alternative fuel. Located in California they are finalizing processes for large scale fuel production. Their goal - replace crude oil; I can get behind that.
Like I said, I’m not the best voice in the crowd - I’m not one to preach about saving the world or campaign to have recycle bins in every cubical. I do have one home just as you do. One.
Algae as a technology? What have we got lose? I  have nothing to lose. We have everything to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment